China and the US have had good communication and made positive, concrete progress on implementing consensus reached by the two sides in Washington, DC, according to a Chinese statement released on Sunday.
The statement was released as the two teams – led by Chinese Vice Premier Liu He and US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross – held talks on trade issues in Beijing from June 2-3.
The two sides have yet to confirm details of the talks.
According to the statement, both sides have exchanged views in various areas such as agriculture and energy, and have made positive and concrete progress.
China said it is willing to increase imports from multiple countries including the US in order to meet the people’s ever-growing needs for a better life and to serve the needs of high-quality economic development.
It is part of China’s national strategy to reform and open up, as well as increase domestic demand, said the statement, adding that China’s attitude is consistent.
The statement reiterated that the two countries needed to meet each other halfway and avoid a trade war.
However, it warned that if the US implements trade sanctions including tariffs then all the outcomes of the China-US trade talks will be void.
Chinese Vice Premier Liu He leads the team, who is also a member of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China Central Committee, and chief of the Chinese side of the China-US comprehensive economic dialogue.
The other US trade team members include US Ambassador to China Terry Branstad, Under Secretary of Treasury for International Affairs David Malpass, Under Secretary of Agriculture for Trade and Foreign Agricultural Affairs Ted McKinney, and US Trade Representative (USTR) Chief Agricultural Negotiator Gregg Doud, according to a White House statement released earlier on Sunday.
This round of trade talks is a continuation of the talks held in Beijing one month ago and in Washington two weeks ago.