Belgian police arrested two men “suspected of planning an attack” following raids ordered by a counterterrorism judge. Belgium is on high alert following deadly bombings in March and attacks in France and Germany.
“Based on provisional results from the investigation, it appears that there were plans to carry out an attack somewhere in Belgium,” the federal prosecution office said in a statement.
The police raids were on houses in Mons and Liege, both predominately French-speaking cities. They are only the latest raids in a series of counterrorism sweeps.
Belgium remains on high alert
There was no apparent connection with the attacks at Brussels airport and the city’s metro on March 22, in which 32 people were killed, the prosecution office said. Nor were weapons or explosives found in the raids ordered by the judge specializing in counterterror cases
Belgian authorities last month charged two men with terrorist offenses amid reports of a planned attack on a Euro 2016 fanzone in central Brussels.
The country increased domestic security precautions for its July 21 national day celebrations after an attack that killed 84 people in the city of Nice on Bastille Day, July 14.
jar/jlw (AP, Reuters)