(By Dr Shahid Qureshi in Turkey ): –
Senior Turkish journalists and media persons joined in the protest of the family members of the victims killed in a PPK planted bomb on 12 September 2019. Media reported 7 civilians killed, 10 wounded as PKK-planted bomb hits pick-up truck in SE Turkey.
“Problems Turkey having today in terms of refugees and terrorism is not because of your enemies but because of your friends like USA and NATO invasion of Iraq and intervention in Syria, maybe you should have an open discussion on this subject”, I said to the Turkish Prime Minister Bin Ali Ylidrim at the Prime Minister House in Ankara on 15 July 2016.
Earlier at least seven civilians were killed, and 10 others were injured when PKK terrorists targeted a vehicle carrying forestry workers with an improvised explosive decide (IED) in southeastern Turkey’s Diyarbakır province, the governor’s office said Thursday. In a statement, the Diyarbakır Governorate said the terrorist attack took place in the Kulp district at around 6 p.m. (05:00GMT).
The PKK terrorists used explosives to target the vehicle carrying 20 workers who were heading to the forest to collect wood, the statement added. Many medical and gendarmerie teams rushed to the scene of the explosion. Initially, four people were reported killed in the blast and the 13 wounded civilians were taken to the Kulp State Hospital. Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu later updated the death toll to seven.
“Our seven brothers were martyred by an improvised explosives blast while the vehicle was carrying them. Rest in peace. We had 10 injured, and one was immediately discharged,” Soylu said, following his visit to the injured at hospitals in the Diyarbakır province.
Soylu added that two of the injured currently being treated at Selahaddin Eyyubi Hospital were seriously wounded.
President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on Thursday night was updated on developments regarding the attack by Diyarbakır Gov. Hasan Basri Güzeloğlu in a phone call.
The president extended his condolences to the families of those killed in the attack and wished a speedy recovered to the injured. He said that all means would be employed to apprehend the perpetrators of the deadly PKK attack.
Erdoğan also called Mehmet Zeki Yıldız, the uncle of Siracettin Yıldız, Ömer Yıldız and Abidin Yıldız who were killed in the attack, as well as Kutbettin Ay, who lost his son Ahmet in the heinous blast.
More families joined a sit-in outside the provincial office of a pro-PKK opposition political party in southeastern Turkey’s Diyarbakır, including five families from Iran whose children were abducted by the terrorist group’s Iranian offshoot.
The protest started on Sept. 3 after a mother, Fevziye Çetinkaya, said her 17-year-old son was forcibly recruited by the PKK through members of the Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP).
Vahide Sunar, a mother who attended the sit-in on Monday, said she joined the protesting families for her son Ahmet Sunar, who was kidnapped by the PKK in 2014 in the Dicle district of southeastern Diyarbakır province.
“I got courage after seeing the protesting families here and joined them”, Sunar said.
Noting that she has a special child to take care of, Sunar said she will keep on coming to the sit-in whenever she can.
On the 14th day of the sit-in, the number of families waiting in front of the HDP’s provincial headquarters has reached 35.
Five Iranian families also joined the sit-in for their children — who were kidnapped by the Kurdistan Free Life Party (PJAK), the offshoot of the PKK terrorist group based in Iran.
Last month, another mother, Hacire Akar, staged a similar protest near the party’s office. Her son returned home a few days later giving hope to a number of mothers who suffer the same circumstances.
After the 12 September 2019 bombings arrest warrants were issued for four suspects as part of the investigation launched into the incident. Mayor Mehmet Fatih Taş from the pro-PKK Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP), suspects identified as A.K., the district chairman of the (HDP), and S.A., the director of the civil works of the municipality were among the detained upon a tip-off that a municipal vehicle was spotted in the area shortly before the blast. Security forces have resumed efforts to capture one remaining suspect. Meanwhile, a larger operation to capture PKK terrorists in the region was launched.
Parliament Speaker Mustafa Şentop, Vice President Fuat Oktay and main opposition the Republican People’s Party (CHP) Chairman Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu were among the officials that condemned the attack and offered condolences to the victims’ families.
Beşiktaş, Fenerbahçe, Galatasaray and Trabzonspor, the “Big 4” of Turkish football, also issued condemnatory messages after the attack.
“We condemn the terror attack in Diyarbakir province,” the U.S. embassy said in a tweet, wishing speedy recovery for the injured and conveyed condolences to the families for their loss.
“We urge for the end of these heinous attacks,” it said.
The US treatment of Turkey from Iraq and Syria is similar as of Pakistan from Afghanistan for example both are burdened by the refugees which put pressures on the economy and created social problems within Turkey.”
In its more than 30-year terror campaign against Turkey, the PKK — listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S. and the EU — has been responsible for the deaths of some 40,000 people, including women, children and infants.
(Dr Shahid Qureshi is senior analyst with BBC and chief editor of The London Post. He writes on security, terrorism and foreign policy. He also appears as analyst on Al-Jazeera, Press TV, MBC, Kazak TV (Kazakhstan), LBC Radio London. He was also international election observer for Azerbaijan April 2018, Kazakhstan 2015, 2016 and 2019 and Pakistan 2002. He has written a famous book “War on Terror and Siege of Pakistan” published in 2009. At Government College Lahore he wrote his MA thesis on ‘Political Thought of Imam Khomeini’ and visited Tehran University. He is PhD in ‘Political Psychology’ and studied Law at a British University. He also speaks at Cambridge University. He is a visiting Professor at Hebe University in China.)
Views expressed are not of The London Post.