The RTBF public broadcaster has identified two brothers as the suspected suicide bombers that carried out attacks at the international airport. Death toll exceeds 30 with hundreds wounded in coordinated attacks.
Meanwhile, a Belgian newspaper says a third man – identified as 25-year-old Najim Laachraoui – is still at large.
The broadcaster, quoting unnamed police sources, said the brothers had criminal records but had never been suspected in terrorism cases.
Khalid, using a false name, had rented the flat in the Forest borough of the Belgian capital where police killed a gunman in a raid last week, RTBF said.
Investigators at the flat recovered a black flag carried by the self-styled “Islamic State” group, an assault rifle, detonators bearing a fingerprint of the Paris attacks’ prime suspect Salah Abdeslam, who was arrested three days later.
‘Islamic State’ claims responsibility
The so-called “Islamic State” claimed responsibility for Tuesday’s carnage, which left at least 30 people dead and at least 230 injured. IS also claimed responsibility for the November 13 attacks in Paris, which killed 130 people.
More to follow…
jar/jil (Reuters, dpa)